Organs and Organ Builders in Slovakia
1651 – 2006
Previous Location List of Locations Next Location
Levoča

Levoča

[Lewoča, Lewoče, Lewucža, Leutsovia, Leuschovia, Lőtse, Lőcsche, Lőcse, Leütschau, Leutschau]

Levoča District, Prešov Province

St James’ RC Parish Church

Gothic church, erected from the first third of the 14th century on a site believed to be that of an older church, which by tradition dated from 1280. The present-day gothic church, of triple-nave pseudo-basilica type, was completed before 1400. The church was several times altered and repaired: at the end of the 15th and beginning of the 16th centuries; in 1530 – 1550; after a fire in 1747; in 1825 – 1857; and after fires in 1859 and 1923. During the 17th century the church was for a time in Protestant ownership. The triple-nave church is of pseudo-basilica type with raised, broad, cross-vaulted principal nave, shortened polygonal presbytery apse and western tower enclosed by side chapels. On the western side of the principal nave is the organ empora with rich stellar vaulting; the loft dates from the end of the 15th century.

Present Instruments in the Building