* 16.5.1842, Golčův Jeníkov (Czech Republic)
† 1913, Kutná Hora (Czech Republic)
In 1869 Jan Tuček sen. established a workshop for the manufacture of barrel-organs, concertinas and harmoniums, which later became the largest organ building workshop in the Czech lands. Jan Tuček's workshop first began to make organs at the turn of the 1880s and '90s. The original aim was merely to extend the selection of products, but organs soon became the primary article of trade.
The two sons of Ján Tuček sen. devoted themselves to organ building: Zdeňěk Tuček (1879 – 1959) and Jan Tuček jun. (1904 – 1995). Zdeňek directed the firm from his father's death until 1935, after which his brother Jan took over the works. In 1951 the firm was integrated in the organ building cooperative Organa. Jan Tuček jun. worked in the cooperative during the period 1956 – 1966.
Among the most important instruments made by the family firm were the organs in the St. Jiljí's Church in Nymburk (1899), St. Barbora's Church in Kutná Hora (1903), the Smetana Hall of the Municipal House in Prague (1912) and St. James's Church in Prague (1940 / 1941). The Kutná Hora works won several prizes for its products.
Text: Marek Cepko
A picture from company’s period catalogue.